Monday, October 20, 2008

Saturday

Well, it is about 12 am on Monday night. I am supposed to be sleeping, but instead I decided to work on some homework. Now I am taking a break from my homework to bring you the latest and greatest from the fam. So just in case anyone was wondering, I usually do my homework during the day, but I am planning on keeping my kids home from school tomorrow as part of a peaceful protest against the California Teachers Association. They have donated $1 million (that's six zeros!) to the no on prop 8 campaign. If prop 8 doesn't pass, I am going to have to start homeschooling. I have nothing against homeschooling, but it does take a special someone, and I was hoping NEVER to be that someone. However, I can and will be that someone if prop 8 fails. Go prop 8! Brett and I held "yes on 8" signs over by the mall on Saturday, and it was amazing! It is incredible the sheer volume of cars that go by there, and every one of them saw our signs! You wouldn't believe the reaction we got from some people! We got honks, and thumbs up, and people smiling and waving. We got dirty looks, the middle finger, and cussed out also. One car of teenagers yelled, "We love gays!". I yelled back, "So do WE!". For the most part, no matter if the response was positive or negative, we just smiled and waved. Another car drove by yelling obscenities, and then turned around so they could drive by and yell at us again! Well I have to say thank you to those cars. Thank you for making fools out of yourselves so that other people would turn and look to see who was making such a racket! Two cars (at separate times) pulled over and asked what prop 8 was. That was fantastic! I do have to make mention of one man in particular. He pulled his car over, and pulled out his cell phone to take a picture of us. Then he told us he wanted to take a picture of what hate looked like to send to his kids! What is unbelievable, and a bit hypocritical is that then he said, "I hope you kids all grow up to be gays and lesbians!" WOW... that was harsh, and a little hateful. We told him that was a mean thing to say, and that we would love our kids no matter how they grew up! Then he drove off in a huff. What kills me is that he was so angry that there was absolutely no way he would listen to wisdom, even if we had chosen to impart any. Don't people know that anger closes minds?

1 comment:

Mikaela said...

Good for you and Brett! I think it's awesome you're speaking out and stepping up! Way to go to actually DO your part and get out and stand for something! That's so impressive! I hope that your sign holding pays off...it's scary what the world is coming to!